Over the next few weeks will we take a look at recovery and nutrition. The first in this series is post workout recovery:
Post Workout Recovery• Active warm down (spin easily for 5-15 minutes after each session - the longer the better - 5 minutes is the absolute minimum!)
• Take a high carbohydrate drink immediately after a workout to replace fluids and glycogen stores
• Consume a high carb meal, with some quality protein, within 2 hours of the workout (the sooner the better)
• After strength, intervals or long endurance sessions consume 0.5g/kg of protein (e.g. a whey protein product or a tin of Salmon etc) within 30-60 minutes
• Apply the pro cyclist rule of thumb: Why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can sit with your feet up, why sit with your feet up when you can lie down.
• Watch the Fitlab Blog over the next few weeks for more on recovery (including compression garments, hot cold water therapy etc) - We will also take a look at race and training nutrition